Friday, September 30, 2011

Playdate and Projects

Next week's playdate will be a walk along the riverwalk. For lack of another idea and to make up for our rained out playdate last time, we will try the riverwalk one more time. 

I know it's a week away but so far the weather looks beautiful next week. We will be able to enjoy the fall colors while we are walking and the kids can play at the park after, if you want.

We will meet in the parking lot of the Schuetze Recreation Center at 9:30 am. 

Let me know if you are coming so I can watch for you. 


One other quick thing ... Starting this Sunday, every week I will be posting a seasonally appropriate PDF of a coloring sheet or other preschool craft. 

I found out from my son's teacher that he needs to work on building up his fine motor skills (writing, cutting, coloring). He is not real fond of doing art projects or coloring in general. My girls lived for that sort of thing and still do. 

I never thought it would be an issue that my son didn't like to color. But because of his lack of doing such things, he has a weak grip and is having a hard time in class (along with half the class). 

His teacher said that they are seeing this so much now because babies aren't put to sleep on their stomachs and so they don't push up on their little arms like we did - in the dark ages. ;) Interesting, huh?

So, I am going to be working with him by giving him some fun projects to do. I figured as long as I was going to all this work, I would share it with all of you, too. 

I would encourage you to have your kiddos work on coloring and whatnot now so that when they are in school they won't have any troubles keeping up. A one or two year can start by coloring. A three year can use scissors and play with clay (instead of playdough). Every little bit helps. I wish I would have known.  

Have fun creating together!

3 comments:

Kelly Seelow said...

We're planning on coming to the zoo playdate!

Aimee said...

We were planning on coming. Russ is taking off on friday so now we wont be there. Have fun:-)

Lisa Berg said...

We'll be at the Riverwalk :) Sounds great. It will be so nice out!