Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I'm the Lunch Lady


With school back in session, I'm finding myself packing 3 lunches most days. And because I'm a procrastinator, I'm doing this in the early morning hours before the kids leave for school. Being that I'm also not a morning person, lunch duty is challenging.






I try to pack mostly nutritious items that I know my kids will eat. That right there is tricky business. I also try to be as economical as I can because the price of food these days is crazy.




I bought each child a thermos this year that I can fill with whatever liquid I desire. I'm hoping in the long run, this will be cost effective but with my kids asking for chocolate milk everyday, I'm not sure I'm saving any money. (I wish I had my own chocolate cow out back.)







I also bought a few sandwich containers and small thermoses for warm things like Spaghettios. I'm trying to save money by using less baggies, too. Well, that and I'm going green. Yeah, ... no, the only green I'm interested in right now is the stuff in my wallet. (It sounds good though, doesn't it?)

The absolute best thing I found were Ziploc divided rectangle containers.



Here are the reasons I love them:

1. They're cheap. (2 pack for $2.37 at Walmart)

2. Because they're cheap, they are also basically disposable. This is important because my children lose their whole lunch boxes at school at times. I don't want to worry about the expensive accessories inside as well.

3. They have 3 separate areas to put food in. Each area is the perfect size, too.

4. Think of all the baggies I'm saving.

5. They fit inside my kids' lunchboxes.

6. They are just totally cute and fun to fill.

If you are looking for different options for lunchtime, I would highly recommend these containers. I wish I'd found them sooner.