Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I'm no Martha Stewart ...


Ok, I'm going to share something with you. I feel like I've told a lot my "secrets" lately. It's actually pretty freeing ...
 
Anyway, here goes, I'm a terrible housekeeper... It is just not my thing. Unfortunately, it IS MY thing. My husband informs me often. {smile}

I just don't know how to clean. I know, you're all thinking "Uh huh, sure." Honestly, though, it just does not come naturally to me. I have to think about it too hard. That's probably my problem. I think about it too much. I'm hoping there is someone else out there who totally understands what I'm saying. I'm sure there must be ... Right?!?

Anyway, I'm determined to get my PhD in housekeeping. I'm gonna do some research and figure out how best to tackle those messy places in a home. I'm going to experiment and work really hard at making clean up not so hard.
 
I figured I would take you along for the ride. In case there is another poor soul out there like me who is struggling to figure out this thing called housekeeping. It will be great accountability, too. {wink} I will post twice a month on this topic sharing my escapades, triumphs, and failures. 

The first thing I've researched is cleaning a bathtub. This is one of my least favorite jobs. Here is what I found on the Internet concerning the best way to clean a tub: 

"Cleaning a bathtub can be a daunting task, especially if it has been neglected for a while and soap scum and mildew are present. Fortunately, with the right technique, cleaning agents, tools and a little bit of elbow grease, cleaning most bathtubs is possible. If you own an antique or unfinished tub, you may wish to seek a professional's help so you do not damage your tub.

Initial Cleaning:
Rinse out your tub to remove all dirt, debris and hair. Then, clean your bathtub with a bathroom cleaner. Because these have fumes, use an exhaust fan, open a window and keep the door open. Spray on the cleaner and allow it to sit for about three to five minutes. Then use a nylon-scrubbing pad to scrub your tub from top to the bottom. Rinse thoroughly with clean water.

Deep Cleaning:
If your bathtub is extremely dirty, the bathroom cleaner may not have done the trick. Fortunately, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will remove tough bath rings and set-in soap scum. Wet the Magic Eraser sponge and rub away the dirt and scum. Depending on how dirty your tub is, you may need to use a whole sponge. Rinse when finished.
If the Magic Eraser did not remove all the stains, make a paste with powdered dishwashing detergent and water. Apply it to the stain and use the nylon-scrubbing pad to scrub the stain. Then let it sit for 20 minutes. Rinse with water.

If you have mildew, use pure bleach. Soak a sponge with the bleach and wipe down your tub. Allow it to sit for a few hours and then rinse. Repeat if necessary. If you are concerned about pure bleach, use non-chlorine bleach, but this will not work as well.

Home Remedies:
To clean your bathtub, put white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on your tub. Then do the same with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Then use the nylon pad to scrub your tub. Rinse when done. In addition, you can also make a paste with cream of tartar and hydrogen peroxide to clean bath rings and other tough stains."

http://www.ehow.com/way_5143643_way-clean-bathtubs.html



I bought some Kaboom bathroom cleaner and it worked really well. In the past I've always used Comet and scrubbed my heart out. The Kaboom worked really well. The smell wasn't terrible and it was a color changing formula. Ooo, aaah! I need something to make it interesting ...

Thankfully I did not need to use the Magic Eraser but I had bought them just in case. I also bought a new shower liner - at the dollar store. When you only pay $1, you can toss the old one and replace them fairly often. They get so icky so fast. I also washed my shower curtain. 
  
So my tub is sparkling but I hate using all of those chemicals and then putting my sweet, naked children in a bath. I picture them sitting in chemical water, burning their skin. Yes, I have issues. 

I'm hoping to try to use the home remedies they suggested to keep up the cleanliness of the tub. It would make me feel better to use something you can ingest or use to clean a wound to clean the tub my kiddos are going to bathe in. I'll let you know how that goes.

Phew ... that's done. What next? I think I'm going to stay in the bathroom area for a while. I have a feeling toilet research is in my near future. Got any tips for me?

PS I actually own that Martha Stewart handbook pictured above. Ha! It was a present. Think it was a hint? {wink}

No comments: