Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Day in the Life of This Mom

Ok, you know I'm desperate when I pull out the old day in the life post. I thought it would be fun to document one of my crazy days from this season of my life. I also figured if my husband ever stumbled across this post he would know "what i do all day." ;)

I chose one day that sticks out in my mind because it was the day that my husband was out of town for work. He had called me that afternoon complaining that he was all alone in a hotel room (thank goodness!) with nothing to do for 4 hours. I tried to commiserate with him but inside was secretly dreaming of what that would feel like.

This was my day:

4:00 am Hubby's alarm goes off. I pretend not to hear it because I had begged him not to wake me the night before after forcing me to stay up until after 11:00 pm to watch his last episode of Psych before he died in a plane crash. (Yes, he also had his last supper at Chili's - thank goodness it was Tuesday, kids eat free.) He is not very fond of flying.

4:45 am Wake up to the living room light shining directly in my eyes. Roll over and try to fall back asleep.

5:00 am My 2 year old wakes up coughing and miserable. Hubby brings him up to me in bed and I desperately try to get the little guy back to sleep.

6:00 am I hear Hubby leave for the airport. My son is still restless and I am trying to get one more hour of sleep.

7:00 am My alarm goes off and whether I like it or not, my day has "officially" begun. I hop in the shower and try to wake myself up.
Wake up the kids, get them dressed, remind them to brush their teeth 10 times.
Make breakfasts and lunches.
Get everyone packed and ready.

8:15 am Load the kids into the minivan and head to the girls school. Call the doctor's office on the way and make appointment for my sick son.

8:35 am Drop off the girls at school. Head to son's school.

9:00 am Take son into preschool. Unpack his backpack, encourage him to write his name and answer the question of the day. Kiss him goodbye.

9:15 am Head to Pick N Save. Save $10.00 with coupons (woohoo! - First time attempting using coupons) and decide it is worth it to take the time to deal with coupons at the store.

10:00 am Come home. Make blueberry muffins to go along with a meal for my grandparents. (My grandpa was having some testing done on his heart that day and I just wanted to lighten his load a little.)
Realize I am now out of eggs. (Boo!)

10:40 am Head to Walmart to buy eggs.

11:00 am Make a meatloaf and pack it up.

11:20 am Leave for Dr appointment for my son.

11:40 am Dr appointment. (Sinus infection) Make appointment for son's 2 year old checkup and flu shots for all the kids.

12:15 pm Head home. Make lunch.

1:00 pm Leave to pick up son from school.

1:15 pm Pick up son. Pry boys from playground and come home.

1:45 pm Arrive home. Work on flowers for Women's event.

2:15 pm Grandpa comes to pick up his meal and see the boys.
Finish flowers.
Outline class for 3rd grade Stars that night.

3:00 pm Load up the boys into the minivan once again and head to the girls school.

3:30 pm Meet daughter on the playground. Three youngest kids play on the playground while oldest daughter practices for the 5th grade run.

4:00 pm Head back to the minivan.
Pick up son's prescription.
Pick up pizza for supper.
Eat.
Finish up work for my class.
Clean kids up.

6:00 pm Head to church.
Drop off kids at classes.

6:30 - 8:00 pm Teach 3rd grade Stars.

8:15 pm Take kids home.
Get kids ready for bed.
Tuck them into bed (after they talked to dad on the phone) later than usual.

9:30 pm Decide if I should just go to bed or stay up and enjoy the quiet. You guessed it - stayed up later than I should have enjoying every minute of "me" time.

10:40 pm Drag myself to bed, ready to get up and do it all again the next day.

(And that, dear husband, is what I do all day . . . :)

Whew, that made me tired just reliving it in my head.

If you would ever want to share "a day in your life," let me know. I think it would be kind of fun to see the adventures you all have as moms and compare the different kinds of craziness we experience during our days.

Have a restful day! ;)

1 comment:

Becky said...

I LOVED this post. Psych is our fave show. It cracks me up! I am so enjoying getting to know you better!!