Thursday, August 18, 2011

Buttercream Frosting

One thing I enjoy doing is making birthday cakes for my kids. I'd enjoy it more if I was able to do it alone in peace and quiet but that doesn't stop me. 

I am by no means a professional but I like to try to get creative with their cakes if I can. 

Benton's cake last weekend was a turtle cake. I frosted 2 9x13 stacked layers. Then I made a turtle from some cake I baked in a glass bowl. I cut out the head, legs, and tail from an extra cake I had baked with the leftover batter from the bowl cake. I frosted all of the pieces and stuck them into the "shell" with toothpicks. Then I used spray food coloring to make the turtle green.

I love the spray food coloring that they make now. First, it is fun and fun is good. Second, I think it's just easier and less messy than trying to dye the frosting. Try it, you may love it. :)

(*Sorry for the lack of pictures. I just wasn't able to get my act together in time to add them.) 

I've done panda cakes, an Icee cake, a Percy (Thomas train) cake, a Barbie cake, a Bob and Larry cake. I've made more cakes than I can name (or remember) over the last 10 years. 

Some have turned out better than others. Some ended up lying down instead of standing upright (dowels are very important). In the end, it's been an adventure. I've had fun, the kids always think they look awesome (I love a child's naïveté), and another birthday is celebrated. 

However, it really doesn't matter what the cake looks like as long as it tastes good, right?

Well, have I got a recipe for you today! This frosting is awesome! My mom has been frosting her cakes with it for years! It's good on cutout cookie, too. Lisa, Stephanie, and, of course, Kelly can attest to how yummy this buttercream frosting tastes. Once you try it, no canned frosting will ever do. 

*Warning: This not a healthy-tasty recipe. I have no idea how many points plus it is. I'm scared to calculate it. 

Buttercream Frosting

1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup shortening
1/4 tsp vanilla

Cream together. 

Add 3 cups powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until fully incorporated. 

Add 1 1/2 Tbl 2% or whole milk. Beat together slowly. Scrape sides and beat for 5 min or more. This is what makes it very fluffy. 

Depending on your cake size, you may have to double or triple the recipe.

Frost your cake and enjoy! Yum!

**Just a little side note, I made the actual cake this weekend the healthy-tasty way with applesauce and egg whites. No one noticed a thing. I received many compliments on how good the cake was, though.    

No comments: