Friday, July 29, 2011

A Night at the Round Table

Well, I survived my night last night. I also wasn't overly embarrassed. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I apologize if you are looking for a tutorial in making a fool of yourself. I can give you the rundown of my night, though. **I apologize for the poor picture quality but you'll get the idea :).**








Hallie wore the dress my sister, Stacey, wore in my wedding. She was a beautiful princess. In fact, she received many comments as we made our way through the crowded restaurant. I had forethought and brought my dress with me and changed there. After seeing how crowded it was, I was very thankful I did. We meet at Sprizzos in downtown Waukesha in their upstairs room. They are so accommodating and the girls that work there are positively sweet. They really get into our book club night.



When we got upstairs, we set to work setting up. Our first order of business was to give our very square table an appearance of being round. I added my selfcut round table cloth - not exactly round but it worked. Do you know how hard it is to find a round plastic tablecloth?



Then we added our Sword in the Stone decorations. We cut up rectangular pieces of floral foam and made them look like big rocks. Then we spray painted them silver. We spray painted sword appetizer picks gold. Then glued all but one of the swords into their stones. We used hot glue but any glue plus foam does not work real well. Live and learn.



Next we added our Sword in the Stone poke cake. It was quite yummy and healthified, too. Watch for the recipe coming up in the near future.



At each place we put blank "scrolls" and pens so everyone could write down their question about the book. In the middle of the table, we put a silver platter to hold the scrolls. Hallie turned it into the "Round Table" by creating little knights made with beads she glued together. That girl is amazingly creative.



On the wall, we hung our Wheel of Fortune game. It ended up spelling out "Whoever shall pull their sword out from their anvil shall be the first to answer a question tonight". Unfortunately, the woman who guessed the puzzle, ripped her glued sword from the stone. And then a few others followed suit. The strength of these women, I tell you.



Back to setting up, we put out the hats, pearl "necklaces" (really headbands from the dollar store), and jeweled rings. We made the hats by rolling up posterboard into a cone. Then we hot glued satin material over the top. We glued ribbon around the bottom of the cone and glued a piece of fancy material into the tip of the cone. They turned out pretty neat and added just the right touch to all of the princesses.



Then it was time for me to get dressed. I ran downstairs to the restroom, put the dress on, and snuck upstairs. Hallie helped me put my hat on and then it was time to wait. A couple of the young waitresses came up to check out our costumes. They were very sweet and thought it was all such fun. That helped my nervousness.







Finally, the girls and their moms arrived. We had told the girls to dress up as princesses and they all did a great job. The moms were very nice and didn't make me feel like a fool at all. They seemed to really enjoy the night.



We all had a great time and I'm kind of glad I dressed up. I realized that it wasn't the end of the world to be a little bit different from everyone else. As long as it's all in good fun, we should all be able to laugh at ourselves from time to time.

No comments: