Friday, July 8, 2011

Ice Cream in a Bag

I love Family Fun magazine. Have I ever mentioned that before?

In the most recent issue, I saw a recipe for Ice Cream in a Bag. It looks easy, it looks fun, it looks yummy! I'm always looking for activities that everyone can do and enjoy. I think even my two year will get into this.


Forget endlessly cranking the handle of an ice-cream maker. After combining the ingredients, each person can simply shake up his or her own pouch of soft serve--and it's done in just 5 minutes.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup half and half
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup salt (The bigger the granules, the better. Kosher or rock salt works best, but table salt is fine.)
Ice cubes (enough to fill each gallon-size bag about half full)
1 pint-size ziplock bag
1 gallon-size ziplock bag

Instructions
Combine the sugar, half and half, and vanilla extract in the pint-size bag and seal it tightly.
Place the salt and ice in the gallon-size bag, then place the sealed smaller bag inside as well. Seal the larger bag. Now shake the bags until the mixture hardens (about 5 minutes). Feel the small bag to determine when it's done.
Take the smaller bag out of the larger one, add mix-ins, and eat the ice cream right out of the bag. Easy cleanup too!
Serves 1.

We are going to try this this weekend! I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

We made the ice cream in a bag tonight. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, it definitely wasn't as fun as I thought it would be, but it did end up tasting pretty yummy.
If you try it, I would suggest using gloves while shaking the bags. Your hands just about freeze off.
The kids added candy pieces to theirs and it made enough for two of my kids to share.