Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pancakes


One of my favorite breakfast foods is pancakes. So yummy! I always make them from scratch because they are easy and I usually have all of the ingredients on hand.

Recently, I decided to try to lighten up my pancake recipe and see what happened. I substituted applesauce for vegetable oil and egg whites for whole eggs.

I made them for the whole family without telling them of the switcheroo. I held my breath as I served them to the pickiest eaters on the planet ...

They never said a word! They gobbled them down and were never the wiser. Yay!

I added blueberries to mine and sprinkled a little powdered sugar over the top. Who needs syrup? Delicious. The best part is that each 1/4 cup of batter is 2 points. That makes quite a large pancake, my friends. Happiness.

Try it out. Here's the recipe:

1 cup flour
1 T sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1 cup skim milk
2 T applesauce

Mix dry and wet ingredients separately. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until combined.
Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake into a hot pan sprayed with cooking spray.
Flip when bubbles form.
Enjoy!

No comments: