Friday, July 15, 2011

Letter of Apology

Dear former teachers of my younger self,
 
I just want to apologize for being such a smart alec to you. I'm sure there were times I made your job that much harder and probably ruined your lessons and train of thought. For this, I am deeply sorry.
 
My kids are always asking me to tell them stories from when I was younger and in the process, I've been reminded of what a brat I must have been.
 
Mrs. Schoenenberger (my 1st grade teacher), I'm sorry I would sit at the table for reading group and blow my whistle necklace while we were supposed to be working. (I mostly blame my food allergies and the fact that someone thought it was a good idea to give me a whistle necklace, but still - how naughty.)

Mrs. Scheffel (my children's church teacher), I'm sorry I would solve your hangman puzzles before we even started playing. I can only imagine how frustrating that was.
  
Moomes (my grandma and Sunday school teacher), I'm sorry for ruining your object lessons. Especially the time you were trying to teach us that it is better to be beautiful on the inside. You had wrapped up a shriveled orange peel in a box that was beautifully wrapped. You said to us girls "See how appealing that box was on the outside but inside it wasn't." And, of course, I raised my hand and said "Well actually, it is a peeling on the inside, too." I apologize, but I will say, that is one object lesson I never forgot.
 
I could probably go on and on but I won't. Now that I'm an adult, I feel terrible about the things I did. I'm sorry.
 
But don't worry, I have kids now, too, - 4 of them. They do the same things to me and I'm sure it will only get worse. I guess this is my punishment.

I hope you forgive me for my punky ways. I've mostly grown out of them.
 
Thank you for taking the time to teach me, it's helped a lot!

Love, Jamie
 
PS I take full responsibility for any and all gray hairs I may or may not have caused.  

1 comment:

a kind hearted rebel with a cause said...

OH my GOODNESS! I LOVE the "a peeling" comment! LOL! I have to admit...that was clever! Oh Jamie...you were something else! ;o)