Thursday, March 1, 2012

Toll House Cookie Recipe

Ok, I know this isn't my usual healthy-tasty type recipe but I couldn't come up with anything and so I figured I would a) go with what I know and b) go with what I love.

These cookies were a huge staple in my house BWW (before Weight Watchers). Nothing else could make me smile like the sight, smell, taste, sound (my kids come running every time they hear the mixer thinking I am making cookies) of these cookies. Personally I prefer them in bar form, slightly undercooked and oh-so-ushy-gushy. That is our name for them - ushy-gushy bars (it's a family thing).

However, when I started WW and began the trek toward healthier eating, I realized I needed to stay far away from this recipe I could recite in my sleep. I have really done SO well in avoiding them. I think I've made them maybe 3 times since last Easter. Most recently was last week in order to use up some margarine that was expiring soon. Oh, and to make my kids happy. ;)

While I was making the cookies, I decided I would figure out the points plus value for a cookie. They are only 3 points plus per cookie which surprised me. I thought they would be way worse for some reason. So I could cautiously partake and not feel too guilty. I thought I would pass on this huge fountain of knowledge with you. I believe knowledge is power and gives you the ability to make smarter choices. :)

I also scooped all of the dough into balls and froze most of them. Genius! Now, I can make a dozen or so at a time and no one can go overboard with their cookie fix (like me). I didn't really lighten up the recipe besides cutting the amount of chocolate chips in half but I've always done that. No one needs that many chocolate chips in their cookies. I don't add the nuts either.

Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large egg
1/2 (12 ounce) package NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl.

Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.

Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Gradually beat in flour mixture.

Stir in morsels.

Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.


My scoop produced 1.1 oz dough balls. Each cookie = 3 points plus


Enjoy! Oh, and try the ushy-gushy bars! You won't regret it. Mmm-mmm!

No comments: