Friday, March 2, 2012

It's Been a BRAT-filled Week

We've just recently experienced the stomach flu in our house. Groan. It actually could have been MUCH worse but God is merciful and only gave us what we could handle.

My little guy suffered the worst. He is still not 100%. Without going into too much detail, I'll tell you that we have had to carefully watch his diet this week.

That got me to thinking. Do you know about the BRAT diet? I did but I did NOT know that it has now changed to the BRATY diet. Now, this has nothing to do with the attitude of your sick angel but rather tells you what is safe to feed a "tummy sick" child.

B is for bananas.

R is for rice.

A is for apples or applesauce.

T is for toast.

Y is for yogurt.

These foods are safe to eat and actually should help improve their digestive state.

Another thing I found out about at the doctor yesterday was a product called Florajen for kids. It is a capsule that contains more than 6 times as much live probiotic culture as a cup of yogurt. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about it the next time your kiddos are having troubles.

It is super easy to administer, too. For little ones, open the capsule and sprinkle into cold drinks or soft food.

I gave some to my son last night and he seems better today. Thank goodness! It's been a long week ... with lots of laundry ... and not a lot of sleep.

Ahh, the life of a mom ... :)

No comments: