Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pinaqua

On Saturday, I threw my youngest son his 2 year old family birthday party. It was at my parents house and was supposed to be a wet and wild (swimming) party. Needless to say, it was wet and it was wild but not exactly what I was thinking.
 
It rained and was a cooler day so there wasn't much swimming (although a few brave souls did go in).
 
Anyway, I had also wanted to do a fun thing I saw in Family Fun magazine called a Pinaqua but decided against it when I had seen the weather forecast for Saturday. Instead of having a traditional candy filled, cavity inducing pinata, the pinaqua is filled with water and delivers a cool, wet treat when burst.  Perfect for a hot, August day (or so I thought).  This looks like such a cute and fun idea. I'll have to try it another time. 


Here are the instructions in case you want to try it, too.
 
What You Need:
Medium-sized trash bag (we used a clear, 10-gallon bag)
Water
Rope
Tree limb
Bandanna or scarf
Broom

Instructions:
Using your backyard hose, fill a medium-sized plastic trash bag with one to two gallons of water. Knot the top of the bag.

Tie one end of the rope tightly beneath the knot. Toss the free end of the rope over a tree branch (a parent's job) and either tie it securely or have the adult stand by to raise and lower the piñaqua.

 To play, each child takes a turn getting blindfolded, getting spun around three times, and then taking three whacks at the piñaqua with the broom. The winner is the one who manages to break the bag and unleash the tidal wave.

No comments: