Thursday, August 11, 2011

In the Most Delightful Way



This week my youngest son had to be put on some antibiotics for a sinus infection. He is normally a trooper when it comes to taking medicine. 

The first night when I gave him his double dose, he kind of gagged and spit half of it back out. 

The second night I enlisted the help of my husband and we held him still and tilted back to encourage the medicine to slide right down his throat. Yeah, that didn't work real well either. 

Then I remembered something I had heard years ago with one of my other daughters. The nurse had told me to pour chocolate syrup in her mouth before and after giving the medicine. The chocolate syrup kills the taste of the medicine and works really well. 



So on the 3rd night, I sucked up his medicine into the syringe and then poured some chocolate syrup onto a plate and sucked that up, too. I wasn't sure if it would work this way but I knew that trying to squirt chocolate syrup in his mouth straight from the bottle would be a disaster. 

I gave him his medicine and he didn't even flinch. Big sigh of relief. I gave it to him again last night the same way and had success again. 

I thought I would share that little tip with you in case you are ever in that situation - which I know is a desparate situation to be in. 

I guess Mary Poppins was right - "just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down ..."


No comments: