Friday, August 5, 2011

Consistency

The questions are different, but each answer is the same.

What will guard us against foolish extremes?
What characterizes those who are habitually successful in sports or sales or some skill?
What single quality in a business builds respect deeper than any other?
What brings security in relationships?
What makes us choose a particular brand name over all others?
What's needed most by parents in the home?
What draws you to the same restaurant time and again?
What do you want most from your paperboy ... or milkman ... or postman?
What will add more weight to your witness for Christ than anything else?

CONSISTENCY. That's the answer to all nine questions, and you know it's true. Steadiness. You can count on it. It'll be there tomorrow just like it was yesterday ... free from silly moods, sudden changes, or fickle fads. Early in the day or late at night, consistency stands firm. When pain or hardship bites, consistency doesn't bleed. When the majority is tired and irritable, consistency is stable and resilient. Not insensitive, boring ... but reliable, faithful. Not opposed to change or reason, but trustworthy. Not stubborn, but solid. Yes, that's it: solid.

It's the stuff most mothers are made of when their little ones get sick ... and missionaries who lose themselves in their labor even though it yields limited fruit. It reveals itself in faithful employees who show up on time, roll up their sleeves, and commit themselves more to doing the job than watching the clock. Diligence is its brother ... dependability, its partner ... discipline, its parent.

CONSISTENCY. A living model of patience, determination, and strength - regardless of shifty, rootless times. The blasts of ridicule and criticism may punch it in the face - but consistency stands and takes it as silently as a bronze statue takes the tempest. One poet calls it "a jewel," another "an anchor of iron." It knows little of ups or downs, highs or lows, blue Mondays or holiday hangovers. It hates tardiness and absenteeism. It thrives on sacrifice and unselfishness. It's an obvious mark of maturity. It's hanging in there day in and day out in spite of everything that could get you sidetracked.

In biblical terms, consistency is a subtle, supple thread woven into the fabric of scriptural truth. Paul had it in mind when he told Timothy to
"... be ready in season and out of season ... " (2 Timothy 4:2);
and when he exhorted the Galatians
"... let us not lose heart ... for in due time we shall reap if we do not grow weary" (Galatians 6:9).
James saw it as a stabilizing trait, which he called
"... endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect ..." (James 1:3b-4).
We are reminded that Abraham was consistent when it came to believing God's promise to him, because
"... he did not waver ..." (Romans 4:20).
But best of all,
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, yes and forever" (Hebrews 13:8).

One of the most attractive, magnetic characteristics of Christ is His consistency. When you need Him, He is there. He's there even when you don't think you need Him! You're never too early or too late. He's never in a lousy mood nor will He ask you to call back during office hours. He's available ... because He's immutable. With Him, there's no new year or old year. He is "the same," regardless.

CONSISTENCY.
It's the jewel worth wearing ...
It's the anchor worth weighing ...
It's the thread worth weaving ...
It's the battle worth winning.

*Deepening your roots
~ Romans 4; 1 Timothy 4:15-16; Hebrews 6:1-12 ~

- Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life by Charles R. Swindoll

*************************************************************

I thought this was so good and it really gave me something to think about. I struggle with consistency. I don't know why but I know it is a problem I have. I get bored. I get antsy. I let my hormones rule my day (you know what I'm talking about).

As a parent, especially, consistency is so important. Kids need to know what to expect next. I wish my kids were more consistent. I feel like I never know what I'm going to be up against with them.

I'm going to start to work on my consistency. In my mood, my actions, my routine. And maybe, just maybe, by seeing me be more consistent, they will be more consistent in their moods and attitudes, too.

No comments: