Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chocolate Frosted Cupcakes

Another new, healthier recipe. I can tell you're excited.

I'm just finding that a treat doesn't always have to be decadent. It can taste good and not be all that bad for you. I am so impressed with how the lighter version of these cakes taste (using applesauce and egg whites) that I think I'm going to make all of my cakes this way. Shhh ... Don't tell.

The real problem lies in the frosting. That yummy deliciousness that is butter, crisco, and powdered sugar is not all that good for you. Surprise, I know. So, once in a blue moon, I'll partake. But when you have a family as big as mine with birthdays around every corner, you need to come up with a healthier alternative.

Here is my latest concoction. It tastes great on it's own, too! (1/2 cup = 2 points plus)

Chocolate Frosted Cupcakes

Cupcakes :
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup water
1/3 cup applesauce
5 egg whites

"Frosting" :
Small container cool whip free
4 serving box chocolate sugar free pudding

Bake cupcakes according to package directions except using above ingredients. Decrease baking time by 1-2 min. 

When cupcakes are cool, mix cool whip and dry pudding mix together. "Frost" cupcakes and enjoy!

2 cupcakes = 5 points plus

No comments: