Monday, January 24, 2011

Paper snowflakes


So, I'm slightly embarrassed to say, we still have our tree up. The ornaments are off but the tree is still up. This isn't entirely my fault. It's a long story and I won't bore you with the details.
Anyway, back to my bare tree. So I figured, as long as we have this tree up, we should decorate it with some cute paper snowflakes. Over the weekend, I asked the girls to make some. I found out that they had no idea how to make them. After trying to show them, I realized I really couldn't remember how to make them either. So I consulted my good friend Google and found out how to make an easy paper snowflake. I thought I would share my findings with you in case you, too, have forgotten this long lost art.

How To Make Paper Snowflakes
Paper snowflakes make great decorations and they are really easy to make. All you need is a square piece of paper and a pair of scissors. The secret is in the folding. It looks tricky, but it's really easy, honest!






Here's how:

Take a piece of square paper and fold it in half so that you have a big triangle.

Now fold that triangle in half to make a smaller triangle.

Now hold your triangle with the longest side at the top.

Next, fold the right-hand corner over towards the middle until it is directly above the bottom point of the triangle and press the edges down firmly.

Now fold the left-hand corner over towards the middle until it crosses over the right-hand point. Press the edges down firmly.

Almost finished. Now, cut off the two points that are sticking up, in a straight line underneath them.

This is the fun bit. You should be left with a triangle. The tallest point will be the centre of your snowflake. Now you get to cut out your pattern!


You can cut out any pattern you like. Swirls, spikes or a mixture of the two. Use your imagination!

The most important thing to remember is that you don't cut your triangle into bits though.

You must leave at least some of the folded edge intact so your flake doesn't fall apart.

http://www.show.me.uk/site/make/Art-and-Design/ACT135.html

No comments: