Friday, May 7, 2010

From An Adult's Perspective

From "Mother's Gifts to Me" by Dianna Booher
All children love their mothers and see them larger than life. But it's through the eyes of an adult that we examine our own upbringing and begin to get a more balanced view. Happily, in my case, that childlike assessment of my mother hasn't changed through the years. As she approaches her sunset years and I follow her through the cycle of mothering and grandmothering, my appreciation of her work and wisdom grows. Even through the filter of adulthood, she still looms larger than life.
Only if my own children still give their upbringing high marks when they arrive at middle age will I have a true measure of my contributions to their life. Mothering stripped of its sentiment matters most.

"Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching. They will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck." Proverbs 1:8-9 NIV

No comments: