Saturday, December 17, 2011

What I Ate: Surviving the Holidays

Surviving the Holidays

This is my last What I Ate post for the year. My last chance to be your cheerleader for the holidays. 

So here goes:

 Ok.
 
Give me a U ...

YOU can do it! YOU can make it through the holidays without eating yourself sick. Concentrate on what the holidays mean and are for, instead of the food. 

God sent His son as a baby for YOU! Because He loves YOU! Because YOU're worth it. YOU are worth the sacrifice. The sacrifice of His only son. The sacrifice YOU are making with YOUr new eating habits. YOU are worth it!

It's ok to enjoy food. It's ok to consume food. It's not ok to let food consume you. 

That's what I did for years. Food was on my mind a lot. I was always thinking of what my next meal was going to be. I was thinking of what food was going to cheer me up when I was sad or lonely, relieve my stressed day, celebrate my happiness. The sad thing was that my emotions were still there after I ate. The food did not take them away. 

Sorry, I got off on a tangent ... 

Give me a P ...

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times, make a plan. Go into your day knowing what choices you are going to make. Make your plan as specific or generic as you want. Try not to rely on spur of the moment decisions - they'll almost always steer you wrong. 

Give me a B ...

Bring food with you, if you can. Either something healthy to share with everyone or something of your own to eat. Having that little bit of control will help you make healthy choices. 

Give me an H ...

Have fun! Food does not equal fun. Don't make the food the focus of your celebrations. Focus on your family, your friends, your blessings ... 

Play games, watch movies, make crafts, have fun!! 

What does that spell? ... Well, nothing, but hopefully it will be the cheer that gets you through the next couple of weeks! You can do it. I have faith in you. Every small healthy decision you make is a big step toward a new, healthy you!!

Have a very Merry Christmas and a blessed and healthy New Year!!

No comments: