Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Preparing My Heart

I thought this post that I read on the Chosen Families blog was so appropriate for how I was feeling and thought you might benefit from it also.

Preparing My Heart
December 11, 2011 By Lynn at Chosen Families

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given….he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.  Isaiah 9:6

Recently, the truth of “let every heart prepare Him room” from “Joy to the World” penetrated my heart, soul and spirit.

I love Christmas and celebrating the birth of our Savior, but not necessarily everything that comes with it.  Those of us caring for loved ones who are not neuro-typical are often overwhelmed by daily life and sometimes Christmas just feels like adding MORE to my already stretched life.

I don’t think it is uncommon for Christians, affected by a hidden disability or not, to be extra stressed during this season. It is ironic though, while we are celebrating the arrival of the Prince of Peace.

I struggle each Christmas with worry and anxiety over our finances and buying presents for friends, family, teachers and members of my daughter’s therapeutic team.  Every year the list of whom I wish to express my gratitude grows and my finances remain the same at best.  So I try to be creative and find meaningful, less expensive or even homemade gifts, but that tends to only increase my stress!
A few years ago, while in the process of finding a new church following a move, we started the tradition of making an advent wreath.  We found advent readings online to read each Sunday and used the advent Daily Bread for daily readings.  We printed out coloring pages for my daughter to color while we read and made a children’s nativity set available for play. It was the first year that I felt I had truly prepared my heart to more fully celebrate the birth of Jesus.  My husband and I both agreed it was such a meaningful Christmas and pledged to continue the tradition.

We were a few days late making our advent wreath, readings and coloring pages this year and I was already in full worry mode.  But that first night we gathered around the table to light the candle and pray, “Come, Lord Jesus, fill our hearts with hope,” I felt the stress and worry melt away.

Of course the battle to remain focused on Jesus continues as the calendar is full with special Christmas events and extra items on my to-do-list, but I can honestly say that as we take time to focus on the true meaning of this sacred season, I experience the peace and joy that we as followers of Christ are meant to experience in the midst of our busy lives.  It takes some work and intentional planning, but it is such a blessing.

May you and your family find practical ways to “prepare Him room” this Christmas season so that you are filled with the peace and joy that comes from knowing and being in the presence of the Prince of Peace Himself.

In His peace,
~Lynn
 
http://chosenfamilies.org/blog/

No comments: