Saturday, December 3, 2011

What I Ate: Breakfast Edition

Breakfast edition

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day - we've all heard it. 

There are some days when breakfast does not happen for me until 9:30 or 10:00 am. I try to eat as soon as I can, though, to get my body (and metabolism) going. 

I've mentioned before that I typically eat a 4 points plus meal for breakfast. That number just seems to work for me. Everyone's different, though, so I suggest finding what works best for your lifestyle and going with it. 

Here are my most favorite breakfasts:
-1 cup plain Cheerios with banana and strawberries and 1/2 cup skim milk (4)
-Walmart brand regular yogurt with fresh fruit (4)
-1 package instant oatmeal (pretty much any kind) made with water (4)
-3/4 cup Life cereal and 1/2 cup skim milk (4)
-2 frozen waffles with fresh fruit and a squirt (or 2) of light whipped cream (5)

These are my go-to breakfasts. But there are so many other options: egg white omelet, toast using light bread, pancakes, the list goes on and on. 

Figure out what you love, what you have time for, and what makes sense. My small list is perfect for me. They are all easy to fix, I enjoy eating them, and I usually have the ingredients on hand. 

That's not to say that every once in a while I don't partake in a yummy, delicious bowl of Cocoa Puffs or Frosted Flakes to spice things up ... But the beauty is - I can. It's all about choices. Will I get more cereal if I pick plain Cheerios? You betcha. Do I sometimes just need to be adventurous and have a bowl of Fruit Loops? Oh, yeah.

Keep it real, people. It's the only way to stick with it. If I told myself I would never again eat ___________ (fill in the blank), I would go crazy and start obsessing about that one thing I couldn't have. When I tell myself, it's ok, I could have it if I really want it, there is no obsessing. 

It's weird, but it works. 

Happy breakfasting!! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JdfiJ60DNg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Newsboys "Breakfast Song"
It's a crazy song but here's a piece of trivia for you: at the end of the song, when there is a crowd of people singing, I was in that crowd. They taped that at a concert I was at many, many years ago ... Could you hear me? ;)  

No comments: