Thursday, December 15, 2011

Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

This is seriously the best soup you will ever eat. (We are planning on serving it at REFRESH - yum!)

I wasn't feeling well a couple of years ago and my dear friend, Stephanie, blessed my family with a meal of this soup. She blessed my life further by giving me the recipe. (Thanks, Stephanie!)

I was a little scared to figure out the points for this recipe. Anything that tastes this good, must be awful for you, I thought.

Well, I am happy to say that I lightened the recipe up a little and found out that it is not high in points at all!! Even better, it is just as delicious the healthier way as the original was.

Make it, try it, LOVE it, too!

Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

6 cups chicken broth (I used Swanson's)
2 cups water
9 oz cooked, boneless chicken breasts, small cubes
1 1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 small onion, chopped
1 6 oz package Uncle Ben's quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup flour
1/2 cup light butter (Land O Lakes makes it in sticks)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cup whole milk

1. Open rice, pull out seasoning packet and set aside.

2. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, and flour. Set aside.

3. In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, water, chicken, carrots, and onion. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice. Cover and remove from heat.
4. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux (it will be very dry).

5. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.

6. Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.

8 oz = 5 points plus


-photo courtesy of Kelly :)

No comments: