Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Excitement


Today is my birthday (yay) ... and I'm excited!! Birthdays are exciting in themselves but I'm really excited about what I'm getting for my birthday. I bet you want to know what it is, right? It's going to be great. It's going to be memorable. It's going to be from my kids. Huh? Yeah, it's not a new iPad or expensive jewelry or _______ (fill in the blank). It's going to be the first time I receive my Mom Book!


What's a Mom Book you ask? Well, a couple of weeks ago I was looking through a Real Simple magazine and came across an article about a woman who started a tradition with her kids called a Mom Book. Every year on her birthday, Mother's Day, Christmas, any special occasion, her kids each fill out a page (or two or three) in a bound 8 1/2 x 11" book of blank paper. They write poems, draw pictures, write letters and they always sign and date their page. This idea just filled my heart with happiness. The author said her kids have never given her a card because this was their card to her. I love that! I would much rather receive some handmade love from my kids at ANY age.

So, being that my birthday was coming up, I ran to my neighborhood Wal-mart to find my Mom Book. I eventually settled on an artist sketch diary because it was filled with beautiful, sturdy, white blank pages.

I explained our new tradition to the kids and they were excited. They immediately confiscated it from me and I haven't seen it since. But TODAY is the day! I'm very excited to see what they have done. This is going to be such a precious book of memories that I will treasure always.

What traditions do you have or are going to start with your kiddos?

1 comment:

Kelly Seelow said...

Happy Birthday Jamie! Do you think it's too late to start one of these for mom?? :)